Friday, May 28, 2010

Old School Contrast

Okay - I'm occasionally guilty of the AGO - astute grasp of the obvious. So, hey lookie, I've changed the color of the blog. I did ask Mr. R, but he hasn't responded.

Black and white - old school contrast. I like it. It is more bookish somehow.

I'm thinking bookish and literary today. Last night, Mr. R and I went to the 5 year anniversary celebration of Cheap Wine and Poetry at Richard Hugo House. It was great fun. And even though I hadn't been to Cheap Wine and Poetry (CW&P) in quite sometime, the curator of the program remembered me, which makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzy. I see myself as not particularly memorable or talented. This morning, I realized that part of the reason I think I can't write is because I compare myself to the brave souls who get up on the stage at an event like CW&P and read their stuff. And their stuff is so good, and they are published poets and short story writers and novel writers and oh my, I can't possibly be as good as all that. But I think I've never really given myself a chance and I've sold myself short. And besides, one of my poems was published in the Hugo House newsletter a couple of years ago.

It was good to sit there and listen to the words and the voices and soak it all in. It is sort of like moisturizer for my soul and creativity.

So hopefully, I'm not getting too old for this and it isn't too late for me to turn things around a bit. Hopefully, I'm not too old to pursue my obsessions and interests and write more and do some of the myriad of other creative, crafty things that intrigue me. As for writing, I'm not sure if I'm ready to try to be published, except for maybe creating my own chapbooks or whatever to give to folks on my own.

One step at a time.

No comments: