Yes, the day has finally arrived. After watching the trollies go by for the past month and a half, today is officially the Grand Opening. The first run is at 12:12 - today's date, clever, huh? The mayor of my fair city will be on the first official run. I think he was on the first test run as well.
Anyway, I am curious to see how much of the mayor's entourage is with him. He has a tendency to bring his goon squad, I mean thugs, oops, I mean body guards with him when he is in public. They drive around in black SUVs - Suburbans I think. I think it is quite amusing. Will there be police cars with lights flashing and a parade of black SUVs? Can you tell the anticipation is killing me?
The swag that has been chosen makes the whole thing seem like even more of an amusement ride. From what I have read, when one boards the trolley, one gets a sticker that reads "I rode the streetcar" and then one gets a passport which gets stamped at the various stations - 11 of them along a mile and a half route. Then one can get discounts or whatever at participating businesses along the route.
Don't get me wrong. I am sure I will set foot on the thing at some point. It goes closer to the fancy schmancy grocery store near my work than the bus and is faster than walking there. And I might actually use it to go downtown once in awhile.
Well, I'd better get some work done before all the excitement (rolls eyes).
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Do you think King PaulAllen will wear his crown? Do you think his lackey...errr....Mr. Mayor will carry the key to the streetcar? Will anyone be able to get a photo of a barista in a Ride the S.L.U.T. shirt? Will there be balloon guys?
I'll keep you posted - I hadn't thought of the King PaulAllen being here. And damn, I should have gotten a t-shirt and taken a picture of my own self riding the S.L.U.T...
Post a Comment