Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rant Alert

I don't and won't often do this on this blog - as you may have noticed I have, for the most part, stayed away from politics and social commentary. Not that I don't have opinions about these things (and lord knows I do have opinions about these things) but well, I didn't start this blog for that reason. But sometimes I will read something that is so gobsmackingly disturbing, so unbelievable, so, so ... words fail me...

This is such a thing.

First reaction was "say what?" Second reaction was "and this is on the sports page?"

There is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin.

But what really struck me was the quote from the parent saying "It looks violent until you realize this teaches discipline. One of the first rules they learn is that this is not for aggressive behavior outside (the ring)". So is he saying this isn't violent because it teaches discipline.

Ummm, I'm just thinking out loud here and I'm not a parent, but it seems to me that just because something teaches discipline doesn't mean it can't also be violent! And cage fighting kids might be learning discipline but it still looks violent to me. And besides, perhaps I have misunderstood, but doesn't the military teach both violence and discipline. The two things are not mutually exclusive. And what, a 6 year old is going to comprehend that this isn't for outside the ring... and at the same time he is learning this to protect himself. Way to go with the mixed message there.

And it seems to me that there are many activities that teach discipline without being violent - oh, I don't know meditation comes to mind. As does having a pet or learning a musical instrument, or having a hobby or doing well in school.

Thank you for reading. I promise I won't rant like this all the time...

I need to meditate on cherry blossoms now.

A comment about this from Mr. R. via email: Isn't Missouri one of those states that has banned evolution? Seems to be working.

No comments: