Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

But sometimes a haircut feels like a bit more than just a haircut.

Yes my friends - I got my hair cut last night - short. I look like a middle-aged, overweight gamine. Mr. R thought I looked spritely. And I feel a bit more like a sprite thank you very much. And not just because of the hair cut.

Let me explain (reminds me, I am overdue for watching the Princess Bride, but I digress as usual). So by way of explanation, this haircut feels like an outward expression of what has been going on emotionally and dare I say, spiritually, for me the last few weeks. The last few weeks I have felt as though layers of terror and anxiety have been peeling away - sort of like peeling old paint and wallpaper and years of crud off of the walls. I don't want to bore or scare you with all the reasons why I have been peeling terror and anxiety off the walls of my heart and soul but it has been happening. And both the internal work and the outward expression of it feel good (although the internal work can be a bit scary - what if there is nothing underneath all the crud!), and I feel spritely - even if I am middle-aged and overweight!

Okay, so now I want to stand in front of Tiffany's with a cup of coffee and a danish. (reference anyone - Orange Girl, I know you will get this reference!)

3 comments:

Hippy Goodwife said...

I thought I smelled peeling crud....oh, nevermind.

Happy you got a fabulous new do! Give Mr. R a squeeze for me. Remember back when he was just the guy on the piano bench waiting?

Anonymous said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's--duh!
sprightly is nice. Significant others can do that sometimes.

Heidi said...

Yes, I suppose the breakfast at Tiffany's reference was a bit obvious - Welcome secrethandshake.